Pssst!! Are you looking for a job? If so, plan to attend:
The Retail Hospitality, & Tourism NJ Network Hiring Event on: Wednesday, October 8th,
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. at the Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Extra copies of your résumé. (I have resume paper)
- The names of three (3) professional references. You should have the correct spelling of their name, job title and a phone number where they can be reached. You MUST ask for their permission before using them.
- Notebook, pocket file folders (for your extra resume copies)
- Extra pens with BLUE or BLACK ink
- The name, phone number and address of ALL of your past employers, including seasonal (summer) jobs.
You can also be prepared and look more mature and professional by doing the following:
- Dress professionally. No jeans, sneakers, hats, sagging pants, short skirts, see through shirts, low-cut shirts, etc…
- Hide your electronic devices (ear buds, earphones, etc…)
- Turn your phone off or on quiet mode and put it away.
- Don’t chew gum or eat.
- DO NOT go with classmates, friends, or your boyfriend or girlfriend. If you must go with someone, go with an adult or older sibling.
- Know when you CAN and CANNOT work.
- Do NOT LIE on your application!! Falsification (lying) on your application is grounds for termination (firing).
- Remember your manners!!! Good-afternoon, thank you, please and you are welcome.
- Use good grammar, “Do ya’ll got anymore applications,” IS NOT the appropriate way to request an application.
- When writing your address, they need your COMPLETE address. Your complete address includes, your street name, house or apartment number, city, state, and zip code. Make sure you spell the name of your street properly and look up your zip code in advance… if you don’t know it.
- Smile, be friendly, courteous and give good eye contact.
- Ask for the manager’s business card because you will not remember all the names of the employers.
- Add the date to your cell phone and set up a reminder.
- Review my sample interview questions here.
If you are under 18, Child Labor Laws require you to obtain a work permit (working papers). I ONLY issue you the permit after you receive an offer of employment (hired). When you are hired, email me at email@example.com or obtain a hall pass from a teacher and I will issue you the permit.
Good Luck! 🙂